Local Christian Sciences Nurses Stand Ready to Provide
a Full Range of Care . . .
Journal-listed Christian Science nurses are fully prepared to serve students of Christian Science of any age – children through seniors. The range of services includes:
- Accepting a case with the expectancy of complete and immediate healing;
- Giving care that is consistent with the theology and ethics of Christian Science;
- Loving reassurance of God’s tender care, ever-presence, and omnipotence; faithfully and consistently acknowledging man’s spiritual perfection;
- Christian encouragement of an individual’s expression of normal activity and natural vitality;
- Reading to or with an individual from the Bible, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and other writings by Mary Baker Eddy, and additional literature published by The Christian Science Publishing Society;
- Communication: maintaining an ethical, moral, and loving manner in all communications with the patient, family, friends, Christian Science practitioner, and others; observing ethical and legal requirements with regard to private information about the patient;
- Surroundings: maintaining an atmosphere that is conducive to spiritual healing and supportive of harmonious care;
- Personal care and bathing: assisting with all necessary care to meet the needs of cleanliness and comfort;
- Mobility: assisting with mobility including assisting with standing, walking, moving, and settling with or without mobility aids or comfort items;
- Nourishment: preparing and modifying food; assisting with feeding; giving appropriate encouragement to eat;
- Instructing the patient or others in providing care for meeting individual needs;
- Being obedient to the laws of the land.
Note: Christian Science Nurses are not registered medical nurses and do not fulfill the medical duties expected by Registered Nurses.
. . . Where Needed
Care is provided wherever it is most supportive of Christian Science healing treatment and to the extent appropriate to the situation, normally in the patient's home, or elsewhere, as appropriate.
How to Utilize Canterbury's Services
Should you or someone you know need help, please don't hesitate to contact us. There are local Journal-listed Christian Science nurses available to assist you on a private-duty basis. The initial assessment is free of charge.
- Call Canterbury (24 hrs a day) – a private-duty Christian Science nurse will return your call to gather and provide general information over the phone.
- Personal Visit – a Christian Science nurse will come to the home, conduct an initial assessment of the situation, confer with the patient, practitioner, and family, and address any immediate need.
- Christian Science Nursing Plan – if ongoing care is needed, a personalized plan will be created, including the type of care, schedule, supplies and equipment needed. Proper care is regularly reviewed by the Christian Science nurse and periodically reviewed with the patient and his/her family. (Time is not a factor in review of continued care.)
- HEALING! – Christian Science nurses expect that their patients will find their freedom and return to their normal activities. Testimonies of healing and feedback on the care received are joyfully welcomed.
Fundamental to the ministry of a Christian Science nurse is an active, prayerful confirmation of man’s innate spirituality and responsiveness to God’s harmonious government. This spiritual witnessing undergirds each aspect of the care a Christian Science nurse renders.